Alberto has welcomed the announcement of government funding to support flood-hit communities like South Leicestershire. People will soon be able to apply for thousands of pounds from the Government to help with the recovery following the recent, extreme floods.
Alberto, who has been working closely with the Environment Agency to support constituents affected by the flooding, has encouraged businesses and residents adversely affected by flooding to apply for the government support to help with immediate repair costs.
The financial support announced will be available to eligible areas in England that have experienced exceptional localised flooding as a direct result of Storm Henk. Given the severity of flooding experienced locally, Leicestershire has qualified to receive the funding and further information will be provided by local councils in due course.
The Government has confirmed the activation of the Flood Recovery Framework.
In summary, this provides that:
• Flooded households can apply for up to £500 cash to help quickly with immediate costs (through the DLUHC-administrated Community Recovery Grant).
• Households and businesses significantly affected by recent flooding will be eligible for 100% council tax and business rates relief for at least three months (through schemes administrated by DLUHC).
• Small-to-medium sized businesses in affected areas will be eligible for up to £2,500 from the Business Recovery Grant to help them return quickly to business as usual (this is administrated by DBT).
• Eligible flood-hit property owners will be able to apply for up to £5,000 to help make their homes and businesses more resilient to future flooding via the Property Flood Resilience Repair Grant Scheme.
• Farmers who have suffered uninsurable damage to their land will be able to apply for grants of up to £25,000 through the Defra Farming Recovery Fund towards repair and reinstatement costs for farmers adversely affected by exceptional flooding.
The Flood Recovery Framework is used in exceptional circumstances to support councils and communities following severe flooding. Households and businesses impacted by flooding should contact Leicestershire County Council for details of how to apply for support.
Mr Costa said:
"The recent flooding in our area, caused by Storm Henk, has been truly devastating, impacting numerous households and businesses in South Leicestershire. This financial support is a crucial step in supporting my constituents as they work to recover from this unprecedented act of nature."
Mr Costa added: "In recent days I have been heartened by the response in the community. In Sharnford for example Fraser Edge, owner of the Bricklayers Pub, explained to me how local residents came together to help rescue their local. Having seen first-hand the damage caused to this great community pub by the recent flooding, I would like to pay tribute the flood wardens and the emergency services who helped out on the night and continue to help with the recovery effort. I’d also like to thank all those who have helped their family, friends, neighbours, local businesses and others to limit the damage caused by flooding in and around their property.”